Monday, February 8, 2016

Black History Month: Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)

I chose this book for today because I am in Louisiana as it is being posted...and crab cakes remind me of Louisiana! Even though the story takes place in Baltimore...


At this time of year students may have a hard time trying to find ideas to write about for personal narratives. Aunt Flossie's Hats is another great picture book to use with students to help them find ideas. Each of Aunt Flossie's hats tells a story...one with a smoky smell from a fire, one from a parade when the Great War was over, and one that fell into the water - Aunt Flossie's favorite!

The book can be used as a mentor text for dialogue, compound sentences, the appropriate use of incomplete sentences, and following a single idea throughout a story - crab cakes.

I hope you enjoy this heart-warming story as much as I do!


Teacher Resources:

Scholastic Idea

Broward ISD

Homeschool Download