Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mark Twain and the Queens of the Mississippi



One of my very favorite natural wonders of the United States is the Mississippi River. When my husband and I head over to Baton Rouge to see our family there, I always want to take a drive down River Road to see the Mighty Mississippi. And if I am lucky, I can talk my husband into taking a ferry across the river.

Mark Twain loved the Mississippi. He even became a steamboat pilot. What a wonderful adventure to travel up and down the river.

Cheryl Harness makes Sam Clemens' (Mark Twain) life come alive in this well crafted picture book. She not only lets the reader learn about the Mississippi, but she also provides information about steamboats, pilots, the Civil War, and Mark Twain himself.

This would be a great book to read to give students some background knowledge on Twain before reading one of his stories.


ISBN:978-0689815423