Monday, August 3, 2015

Creating a Bank of Ideas




The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman
Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Published:  2013
ISBN: 9780763646011
Personal Copy

As a teacher, I always had my favorite book to use to help my students come up with ideas for a personal narrative - Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge (I will review this one on Wednesday). However, I found another book that I just found out about to share with you to use with your students (children) - The Matchbox Diary. This will be the perfect read aloud as you start to help students come up with ideas for a personal narrative and their Idea Bank.

Besides providing a different way to save ideas, it is also a beautiful historical fiction picture book that relays the story of an Italian immigrant family in America.

"Pick whatever you like the most. Then I will tell you a story."

What a way to start a book! And the illustration that goes with this beautiful beginning. Books, antiques, pictures...they can all tell a story!


But what the grand-daughter brings is a cigar box. And inside the cigar box are matchboxes. They are her grandfather's diary. He could not read or write, so he kept small possessions to remember his stories.


An olive pit...

A picture of his father...


Macaroni noodle...


Seeds for the number of days to America...


Typesetting letters...


And the grand-daughter starts her own diary in a candy box...


Don't you wish you had such a wonderful way to save your ideas? Or do you? I would love for you to share in the comment section.

Now, I am going to fill in my Writer's Notebook with some ideas of my own...


Teacher Resources:

http://candlewick.com/book_files/0763646016.btg.1.pdf

http://www.paulfleischman.net/index.htm