Monday, July 13, 2015

My Mama Had a Dancing Heart






My Mama Had a Dancing Heart by Libba Moore Gray
Illustrated by Raúl Colón
Publisher: Orchard Books
Published:  1995
ISBN: 9780531071427
Personal Copy


Have you ever read a book and been jealous of the characters? Well, this is one of those books for me. I love how the mother and daughter share their time together dancing...not just dancing. Enjoying life! All year...






The author uses words to evoke this element of fun as they dance...

frog-hopping, flower-opening, seabird-flapping, 
dolphin-arching, hand-clapping

I can see the two of them dancing without even seeing the illustrations. What wonderful language.
And then, the young girl takes all the fun and beauty of dancing with her mother and becomes...

A BALLERINA!



I hope you dance right along with them as you read this story about a mother and daughter who truly know how to live!

Teacher Resources: