Sunday, June 7, 2015

When I Was Young in the Mountains





When I Was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant
Illustrated by Diane Goode
Publisher: Puffin Unicorn
Published: 1982
ISBN: 978140548754
Personal Copy



Cynthia Rylant has such a wonderful way with words. Her books have always captivated my students and myself.

As I reread this book for my blog, it reminded me of my grandfather's cottage and how I could use her book as a wonderful mentor text to craft my own story.

Grandparents are the central character, which creates the extended family for students...or students who are being raised by grandparents. It is a remembrance of the mountains and the very special place it holds in the narrator's heart. 

From dinnertime...


To the johnny-house...


The Crawford's store...


Getting water for bath time...


And finally to never wanting to go anywhere else!


The story brought back so many memories of my childhood...Thank you Cynthia!

Teacher Resources: