Monday, June 29, 2015

Dear Mr. Blueberry





Dear Mr. Blueberry by Simon James
   Illustrated by Simon James
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Published: 1991
ISBN: 9780547010342
Personal Copy


I thought that since I had done Dear Hank Williams, that I would do another book that was written as letters. These have responses though...

This is such a sweet exchange between Emily and Mr. Blueberry. I love how the Mr. Blueberry tries to guide Emily into understanding about whales...and the fact that one could not live in her pond!





Emily is persistent, but Mr. Blueberry wins out in the end...or does he. Emily goes to the ocean, which is where Mr. Blueberry tells her that whales live, and Arthur (the whale) is there.


I love this story for the response factor, but also because Emily does not allow Mr. Blueberry to make her not believe in Arthur.

Teacher Resources: