Monday, April 20, 2015

The Seashore Book

Image result for the seashore book 


The Seashore Book by Charlotte Zolotow
Paintings by Wendell Minor
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: 1992
ISBN: 9780064433648
Personal Copy




As I sat with the windows open and a crisp breeze blowing, I started thinking about the coast. So I decided to go through my picture book collection and find one that reminded me of one of my favorite places - the beach. It has been awhile since I read The Seashore Book, and I am so glad I choose this one.

If you have never been to the seashore, this is the book for you! A young boy, who lives in the mountains, asks his mom "What is the seashore like?" The mother then describes the seashore by way of a story of a day her and her son spend at the beach.

          "They are the same smoky gray until
          the mist shifts from gray to dark white,
          from dark white to pale purple,
          from pale purple to hazy blue,
          and then, suddenly,
                         the sun breaks through!  
  

As you can see by the pictures above, the paintings by Minor are beautiful. They certainly add to the descriptions written by Zolotow. 

I would recommend using this book to help with descriptions and visualization with students.

Teacher Resources: