Friday, February 20, 2015

Picture Books 14:14

Today I Feel Silly
     & Other Moods That Make My Day 
Rhyme/Pattern


Today I feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis
Illustrated by Laura Cornell
Publisher: Joanna Cotler Books
Published: 1998
ISBN-13: 9780060245603
Personal Copy
Word Count: 500 (estimate)



Today I Feel Silly compliments Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons so well that when Christie allowed us to use one book written prior to 2005, I had to choose it. 

What a joyful romp through moods it is! And Jamie Lee Curtis made it all possible for us...we all know she is quite familiar with the mood of frightened (remember Halloween??)

The book is in an AABB rhyme pattern and each line is eleven syllables long (or if lines are split in two, the two lines are eleven syllables). The rhyme and pattern allows for an effortless reading of each mood. I allows it to be read aloud with the intonations of that particular mood. 

How fun to read the pages of her book and totally grasp that mood...



Wouldn't it be fun to be that silly?

Or maybe...



The words allow us to understand what is means to be in a "bad" mood - grumpy and mean. But then Curtis provides examples children can understand to know if they are being mean - forgetting to water a fern or burning cocoa.

You could use this pattern to create your own "mood" rhyme. Children would love it!

At the end of the book is a mood wheel in a face to show what your eyes and mouth would look like if you were in that mood.

So have fun...be silly...I dare you!