Thursday, February 19, 2015

Picture Books 14:14

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
Word Play

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Illustrated by Jane Dyer
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Published: 2006
ISBN-13: 9780060580810
Personal Copy
Word Count: (estimate)





How hard is it to teach children about traits? Whether their own personal traits or character traits in a story they are reading? How wonderful it would be to explain them using cookies! Oh wait, we can if we use this outstanding picture book.

Rosenthal utilizes word play in a variety of ways to guide the reader to understand what a certain trait means. Children so often do not understand it when some one tells them to be trustworthy. But you can read the page in this book, and suddenly they understand. I love that about this book!

So, sometimes she just uses the cookies to help define a trait:

Patient means
waiting and waiting for the cookies to be done.
A few more minutes.
Aren't I waiting nicely?
Still waiting.



Or:

Respect means
offering the very first cookie
to your grandmother.


Other times she compares two traits:

Greedy means
taking all the cookies for myself. 
Hee Hee Hee    Yum Yum Yum

Generous means
offering some to others.
Please take one.
You too.
Anyone else want a cookie?


And then when you use one trait to help with another trait:

Honest means,
I have to tell you something.
The butterfly didn't really take the cookie - I took the cookie.

Courageous means,
It was not easy for me to tell you that I took the cookie,
but I took a deep breath...and made the words come out.

And she ends with...

Wise means,
I used to think I knew everything about cookies,
but now I realize I know about one tiny chip's worth.


I thought I knew everything about cookies too. But I think that Amy just taught me so much more!