Sunday, February 15, 2015

Picture Books 14:14

A Book for Bramble
Themes

A Book for Bramble by  Lynne Garner
Illustrated by Gaby Hanson
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Published: 2007
ISBN-13: 9780545030342
Personal Copy
Word Count:  590 (estimate)



When I saw the cover of this book, I thought, how could I not buy this! And I did at a Scholastic Book Fair at a campus I was visiting. Being a lover of picture books (and some chapter books) that have animals, I knew I would fall in love with this book...and I did.

Of the elements to choose from for our blogs, I chose theme for this book. The story has two distinct themes that are woven into the story - friendship and separation.

Teasel, a field mouse, and Bramble a hedgehog, are best friends. However, it is time for Bramble and his family to hibernate for the winter months. Teasel is saddened by the departure of his friend. 

                       "You're missing Bramble, aren't you?" asked his mother. 
                                 Teasel nodded sadly.

But Teasel's mother suggests that he draw a picture for Bramble...Teasel takes it one step further. He decides to write a book for his friend to share winter. How ironic that he writes a book, don't you think...

Throughout the story Teasel thinks about his friend, how he misses him, and how he wishes Bramble could enjoy all the winter activities. However, each time he goes to his sketchbook, draws a picture, and writes to Bramble.

When Bramble finally emerges from his winter nap, Teasel is so excited to see him.

                      Teasel shouted, running to greet his friend. "I MISSED
                      you!"
                      "I missed you, too! said Bramble. "I know I did because
                      I dreamed about you!"

Teasel then shares his book and winter with his friend!

The way the author helps the reader to see the friendship of the two characters is so very clear. She chooses just the right things to write and the illustrator's pictures enhance those words. This picture book is a beautiful example of how two themes are woven together.


Lynne Garner runs a hedgehog rescue service from a shed by her garden!