Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A New Bear

Paddington



Paddington by Michael Bond
Illustrated by R. W. Alley
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: 2007
ISBN-13: 9780061170744
Read at Barnes and Noble



Most people who know me know that I love bears! Boyd's Bears, FAO Schwartz Bears, Winnie the Pooh...oh, how I love bears. Paddington is an adorably illustrated bear. Alley created a huggable bear that anyone one could love. And I do!

I'm not sure about the story though. Bond certainly brought a a well-mannered bear that any mother (or nanny) would love. But to me, the story is rather bland. Oh, don't get me wrong...I thoroughly enjoyed reading this quaint story. However, I was waiting for a really great plot, and it came up empty. Where was the conflict? Where was the character development? I was a little disappointed to say the least.
So why am I blogging about this...well, I am involved in several Reading Challenges for the year. One is a picture book challenge, and one is a birthday challenge. Bond's birthday is in January, so it served a dual purpose. Besides, I wanted to read it.
I think it would be a great bedtime story, but I wouldn't use it in my classroom to teach story elements.